Quinoa Mini Stuffed Peppers
- 36 mini sweet peppers (about 1-1/2 lb bag)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3/4 cup reserved sweet peppers, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Begin slicing sweet peppers 1/3 lengthwise on the curved side, reserving for later use. De-seed the inside of the peppers so that you have a nice hollow middle. Set aside.
- Dice reserved peppers until you have about 3/4 a cup and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, jalapeno and reserved peppers and cook about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and tomatoes, stirring until combined, then add in quinoa, black beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil then cover, reduce heat and allow quinoa to simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Note: you’ll know quinoa is done when you see what looks like a little tail pop out!
- Stir in chopped cilantro and begin spooning your quinoa mixture into your peppers, filling as much as you can, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake peppers at 350 for about 13 minutes then remove from oven and top peppers with a sprinkle of cheese. Bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!